Sunday 4 September 2011

Update and recollections


My previous blog,  www.bikevoyage.blogspot.com was a travel blog about voyages on my bike, as the address suggests, and hasn’t been updated since mid-South America, and a lot has happened since then, including a really long sentence with four commas.  I left you mid-slump recovering from a bad bout of Giardia in Patagonia.  Long story really short, I kept cycling until I got to the Bolivian border, then jumped a plane to Toronto.  I stayed there for two weeks, cycled to Montreal and stayed there for another two weeks with a nice Québécois girl, then shortly after, I cycled to Quebec itself.  I then cycled a good portion of western Canada before settling in the somewhat underwhelming city of Vancouver, where I: Had trouble with U.S border guards, had fun with Canadian border guards, worked cash underhand painting buildings with a bunch of potheads and no WHSOs, almost fell to my death from a 12m+ ladder, helped my friend Tim Harvey in nefarious business on Salt Spring Island off the coast, met a nice dutch girl, got addicted to smoothies (so many hipster psuedo-lefty narcissists on Commercial drive, that’s all they drink) and took sword-fighting lessons, that’s broadsword, not fencing lessons, mind you.
Phase two in recollections of my life up until the present is as follows:  The flight back home after running out of money and being moderately arrested for drug-smuggling in Sydney airport, travelling to New Zealand (Wellington) to work and save up some more green and not meeting more than a handful of worthwhile person in an entire year with me becoming cynical and jaded the result, then a two-month return to Brisbane where I didn’t meet a single unsavory character in two months, sorted out some loose ends, restored old friendships and re-met a nice Australian girl, ergo restoring my view on people and society as a whole (-1 + 1 =0).



Tomorrow I fly to India for three months, my father accompanying me for one of those. Here are a collection of pics to bring you up to speed:
 Most of the rest of South America

 Santiago hairdresser mall

 Toronto being Santiago

Easy-peasy camping in Canada

 Montreal


 Salt Spring Island

Tim Harvey (left)


 Wellington

 Family 1

 Brisbane

Family 2 (From left to right: Me, sister)

Me now

3 comments:

  1. To all the people I actually liked in Wellington, I still do, that phrase was just for added emphasis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, was gunna say, Id like to think Commander Shephard was half-worth meeting at least!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you guys and the Commander are in the 'exceptions' list! hehehe

    ReplyDelete